Sunday, February 19, 2017

"The Bachelor Girl's Guide to Murder" by Rachel McMillan

This is a cute book.  It's not a deep book, or a daring book, or an intense book, but it is fun and sweet, with bits of excitement and romance woven in.  It's got a lot of things I love:  mystery, historical setting, brave female characters, clean romance.  I like that it's set in Toronto instead of the usual cities of London, New York, or Chicago.  

Above all, I like that the two female detectives are consciously trying to be like Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson.  I was afraid that it was going to be one of those books where an author tries to cleverly write their own versions of famous characters and instead I just spend a lot of time being annoyed by how much the new people fail to match up to the originals.  That was my biggest qualm about reading this series, which people have been recommending to me for a while now.  People kept saying, "They're a female Holmes and Watson!" and I was like, "We don't need female versions of Holmes and Watson.  Go write original characters, people."  But that's just what McMillan did -- she created two very original characters who happen to be female and happen to wish they were like Holmes and Watson.  I dug it.

I didn't love everything about this book (SPOILERS)-- the romance between Jem and Ray wrapped up too abruptly and neatly for my taste, and (END SPOILERS) some of the dialog didn't always make total sense to me, like chunks of conversations had been removed for some reason.  But overall, it was a fun book, and I'm definitely going to read more in the series.

Particularly Good Bits:

"The past does that.  It lures you back and tricks you into thinking it was better than it was" (p. 180).

If This was a Movie, I Would Rate It:  PG for characters being in peril and discussion of dead bodies.  Also, some smooching.

10 comments:

  1. I can totally get where you're coming from! It's like when people tell me an author is "the new C.S. Lewis..." Nah, I'm good, there's already one and no one can beat him. Haha!

    Anyway, this part "But that's just what McMillan did -- she created two very original characters who happen to be female and happen to wish they were like Holmes and Watson." Loved it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, yeah... the world doesn't need another Lewis, another Tolkien, another Doyle.

      I liked this so much, I bought the next one as an ebook because the library doesn't have it. Hoping to get to it soon!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. MovieCritic, you probably would! I'm getting ready to read the next book in the series.

      Delete
  3. This looks like a book I would enjoy! I think I will like it because I can identify with being a girl and wanting to be like Sherlock Homes or Dr. Watson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ekaterina, that's a lot of what I liked about it too :-)

      Delete
    2. By the way, I read Dani Noir, and it was really good! I now have to watch Gilda. Although the movie hasn't particularly appealed to me in the past, I guess I better watch it to see what people like about it.

      Delete
    3. Ekaterina, that's cool! Yeah, it made me want to rewatch Gilda myself. I've only seen it once, and that was years ago.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I think the series is simply a lot of fun. As you said, it's not deep or intense, but definitely fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kara, exactly. And fun is good. My library system doesn't have book 2 for some unknown reason, so I just bought the e-book version and hope to dip into it soon.

      Delete

What do you think?

Comments on old posts are always welcome! Posts older than 7 days are on moderation to dissuade spambots, so if your comment doesn't show up right away, don't worry -- it will once I approve it.

(Rudeness and vulgar language will not be tolerated.)